Hello, lovelies! After the series ‘How to start a powerful blog’ where you learned what it takes to launch a blog, I will show you an easy ‘how to start a blog’ tutorial, step by step, with pictures.
Basically, today I will show you two tutorials:
- How to start a FREE WordPress blog (WordPress.com)
- How to start a self-hosted WordPress blog on Bluehost (WordPress.org)
Before we continue, here are the differences between WordPress.org and Wordpres.com:
So, let’s dive in
1. How to start a FREE WordPress blog
Step 1: Get started with WordPress.com
Step 2: Complete the 3 steps offered by WordPress
Step 3: Finishing the little details
From Site Pages: Easily create pages for your blog
From Blog Posts: You can add new blog posts or manage all your posts
From Media: Add, edit or delete your files: pictures, documents, etc.
And from Settings you can personalize your blog the way you want it.
Step 4: Customize your blog by picking a new theme
It provides access to several administrative functions. On the left side is the main navigation that provides access to most of the WordPress management tools. Each major section typically comes with a sub-menu that can fly out and expand to show extra options. The area in the middle of the screen is called the work area. This is where you can write, edit, and delete posts as well as adjust settings. via wpbeginner.com
I personally use WordPress admin, or simply wp-admin.
2. How to start a self-hosted WordPress blog on Bluehost (WordPress.org)
Why Bluehost? Recommended by WordPress.org since 2005, Bluehost is a web hosting with awesome quick 24/7 support from experts, it’s fast and reliable with just one-click WordPress installation automatically and it comes with a FREE domain. Of course, you’re free to use any other web hosting provider suitable for WordPress.
On Bluehost, you can get a great plan for just $3.95/mo and they give you a FREE domain name.
And now, without more ado, here are the steps:
Step 1: Get started now
Step 2: Choosing the perfect plan
The Basic plan is perfect for beginners but you can always upgrade later to the perfect plan that suits you.
Step 3: Choosing the domain
Step 4: Complete the Account and Package info
At your Account information make sure you use a working email address because this is where your receipt and login info will be sent.
At selecting the Account Plan you can choose 12, 24 or 36 months. If you want to save some money you can choose 12 months.
Why choosing Domain Privacy Protection: Without Domain Privacy Protection, all your data is available to the public. Thus, Domain Privacy Protection is a service that hides all your contact information from the public on WHO IS listing. via blog.resellerclub.com But if you do not want it, easy just uncheck the box.
Step 5: Complete your billing info
If you don’t want to pay with credit card, just click more payment options, at the top above the Credit Card Number, to pay with PayPal. Confirm that you’ve read the Bluehost’s Terms of Services and then hit the submit button.
Step 6: Choosing your password
After you created the password, you can click on login to move on.
Step 7: Choosing a theme
You can choose a theme now or later, it’s up to you.
Or you can buy:
But if you do choose a theme now, you can still change it later.
Click on the “Start Building” to continue.
Step 8: Choosing between Business or Personal
AAAnd welcome to your new Dashboard. It is just like the wp-admin we see at creating a free WordPress blog but with more details and advantages. From now on to login to your site just go to yourdomain.com/wp-admin.
You can pick from Business or Personal. You can change it later. And you will see this screen.
At Site Title: Add your future site name, e.g. mine is Ave Mateiu
At Site Description: A cute quote or whatever you wish, e.g. mine is Dream big & make it happen
And don’t worry, you can change it later.
Step 9: Customising the little details
And from now on, it is up to you to personalize your site just the way you want it. First, r forget to customize your settings. Later, you can choose a new theme, new plugins. I definitely recommend JetPack and Akismet
Step 10: Write your first post
Posts -> Add New – And let your imagination go crazy.
- Post title: Write a catchy title. For more details, please visit my part 2 from the series ‘How to start a powerful blog’
- Permalink: That’s your post URL. You can modify his format from Settings -> Permalinks.
- In this area you have more options: to save your post as a draft, to preview your post. At Publicize, you can select where to share your post.
- The writing area: Microsoft Office Word’s most features so BE CURIOS.
- Categories, tags, featured image, slug, format – for more info about each one, please click on them.
- Text: Easily create your post with HTML codes.
- At screen option you can customize how your writing editor will look.
- After hitting the Publish button your post is LIVE. That means everyone can see it.
And that was for today’s. I truly hope you’ve found this tutorial helpful.
For more, please visit:
- How to Move Your Blog from WordPress.com to a Self-Hosted Domain
- For Beginners: 10 Great Blogging Tips
- How to: start a powerful blog – Part 1
- How to: start a powerful blog – Part 2
- How to: start a powerful blog – Part 3
See you on my next tutorial 😍 Many exciting surprises are planned ahead, so stay tuned 🔜
Dream big & Make it happen
***Disclaimer – Some affiliate links are used. An affiliate link means I may earn a small percentage if you purchase through my link, without any cost to you. It helps to keep my blog afloat. Thank you for your support.***